An old question, for which I could find absolutely NO reference on the internet for many years. Perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places, but I have no clue about its usage either.

Then I stumbled upon this article just now that actually happened to address the same premise. I tried to figure out myself as a function of context but my better judgement was to seek expert advice. So here goes.

In the following excerpt I found in an article:

Ricky: Yo player let me get some of that valium!
Albert: **** off these are for my back spasms.
Ricky: Okay fine then I will tell your girlfriend about last weekend.
Albert: Fine, here you go a**hole.
Ricky: Word.

What exactly does word mean at the end? What are its connotations? Thanks :)

  • Did you try looking it up at the same site?
    – Barmar
    Commented Jul 5, 2014 at 6:39

1 Answer 1


It is a form of agreement but if said sarcastically by Albert in this case, it could have had undertones of disagreement. Albert is demonstrably passive so his use of the term here is to reassure the more dominant Ricky, that he understands the outcome of their argument. In short it should be understood that Albert is bending to Rick's will, or at most being passive aggressive. Albert could have ended the same statement with "Yo" and produced the same result.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.