For a large software package we are providing a small program giving small reference examples of [how to use] the capability of the main product. My mental image I have of this is akin to a needlework sampler (typically showing the alphabet font and some reference patterns).
For a modern technical audience the word sampler is unsuitable because of:
- ambiguity with an audio sampler and other hi-tech derivatives of sample
- the antiquity of the application of sampler I'm trying to convey - even for most Western colleagues it is meaningless
- The audience is likely to be Asian, so needs to be something a non-native speaker of English would at least recognise for what it is
Immediate suggestions were:
- Demonstrator but that has connotations of showing off the most exciting elements, not providing a reference set. It's a story not an alphabet. We will be separately providing a set of demos.
- Examples, Illustrations, Specimens all suggest a complete unit (again a 'story' using my analogy, and not necessarily using all the letters of the alphabet). In any case I need a single name for a collective package. I want to provide one sampler to show many minimalist examples.
Other collective words such as compendium or collection again fall foul of the implication that each entry is complete and not just a sample fragment. Library also suffers from this, in addition to being ambiguous in the software world.
In summary, I'm looking for a word that suggests a single package of multiple minimal examples. Any suggestions?
Edit: For the avoidance of doubt I want a word for the collective, not the contents, therefore any plural word is not going to be suitable for my needs. We've considered (and rejected) anthology and digest but something along those lines would be good.
Edit 2: Apologies, I'd assumed it would be taken as read that the software will have user manuals, data samples, training material, demos and example applications. My problem is that this "sampler" needs a name that makes it distinct that it isn't one of the others.