I'm writing an article about using rarely used English words and how to learn and use them. As an example I'd like to find an alternate way of saying "rarely used" I believe there should be one word for this in the English language.


Use obscure or esoteric; neither exactly means rare, but both fit your context.

  • thanks, I like "esoteric". Now I realize that in this particular context I want to use a word like "esoteric" particularly because it's esoteric to many people. – legork Jul 6 '14 at 17:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.