How to say that someone had a very important influence in your life?

I know the word "milestone" which is mostly used for events.. Is there any similar word that can be used for people?


  • The common word to refer to a person is "influence". Jul 3, 2014 at 22:20
  • The "milestone" might be called a turning point in your life.
    – Jim
    Jul 3, 2014 at 22:21
  • @Jim can we use "turning point" referring to a person?
    – HaneenSu
    Jul 3, 2014 at 22:23
  • No, the person is not a turning point. You would say something like, "Meeting Dave represented a turning point in my life."
    – Jim
    Jul 3, 2014 at 22:24
  • 1
    @Scott I think your comment should be an edit.
    – bib
    Jul 3, 2014 at 22:36

2 Answers 2


You can call them an inspiration.


An individual who had a very important influence in your life could be just about anyone depending on the circumstances. A word or expression for that person could be mentor, confidant, counselor, adviser, teacher, coach, guardian angel, or the devil himself.

  • well I want to tell the person how important is he/she to me. I should have made this clear in the question probably.
    – HaneenSu
    Jul 3, 2014 at 23:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.