I know there have been other questions asked that are similar, but I want to know about the specific case where a person has had a child or children, but all have passed on.

Is there an accepted word or term for a person in this situation?

  • I found a website (parphent.com) that coined the term "parphent" in April 2013. It doesn't seem to have caught on though. – Darren Griffith Jul 2 '14 at 21:05
  • Found another website (today.duke.edu/2009/05/holloway_oped.html) that suggested "vilomah" although it appears to be a parent who has lost a child, not necessarily all their children. – Darren Griffith Jul 2 '14 at 21:07
  • 1
    @tchrist, although close, that is not exactly what I'm asking. I want a term for a parent that has lost all of his/her children. – Darren Griffith Jul 2 '14 at 21:39
  • 4
    You don’t get a word: you get words. Language is about combining words in infinitely many ways to represent complex concepts. Even if you had a “word”, nobody would know what you were talking about and so it would be completely useless. – tchrist Jul 2 '14 at 21:42
  • 1
    @tchrist, I'm OK if there is no such word, just curious if one existed, since I need a short way to reference this case at work. And words do spring up from nowhere to replace a string of words that represent complex concepts, like selfie or twerking (ugh). – Darren Griffith Jul 2 '14 at 22:22