If someone, called John, for example, has two titles that include Dean and Professor, which of the following expressions is better?

  1. Dean Professor John visits Oxford University.
  2. Dean and Professor John visits Oxford University.
  • 3
    In your context which is the more senior ranking? Just use that one! – curiousdannii Jun 24 '14 at 6:54
  • Is this just a hypothetical question, or do you know of a title which conveys a prenominal "Dean"? – Peter Taylor Jun 24 '14 at 13:01
  • Use one or the other. In English, we do not say "Herr Dekan Professor Doktor Johann", like they do in German. I would suggest using whichever capacity is related to his visit. – Peter Shor Jun 24 '14 at 20:14

In the British tradition, Dean is not used as a title. If you use a title, you also need to use the surname (family name), not the given name (forename).

I would suggest 'Professor Smith, Dean of the Arts Faculty' or similar. In other words, I think 'Dean' needs to be used descriptively rather than as a title.


Can anyone become a dean without being a professor?

if the answer is no; then can we not use Dean John visits Oxford University, as an option here.

this is not an answer; just a suggestion.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.