Is there one word which means "to make adjacent to," or a conjugation of adjacent that would satisfy that?

For example:

The editor moved that paragraph to make it adjacent to this one. Is there a way to make the bold words into a less awkward phrase, so that the sentence would read "The editor [mystery verb here] these two paragraphs"?

  • 2
    What circumstances are you using it for? If you're talking about nodes in a graph, you could use "connect"? If you're talking about making Germany adjacent to Russia, you could use "partition Poland"? – Peter Shor Jun 24 '14 at 2:51
  • There isn't, as far as I know, a verb which means "to make adjacent to" in an absolute sense; it all depends on contextual meaning. Do you have an example of context, possibly? – user50519 Jun 24 '14 at 2:54
  • Can you specify adjacent 'to what', or the object you wish to make adjacent – Third News Jun 24 '14 at 4:31
  • @StoneyB I think juxtapose may be what I am looking for. – Y     e     z Jun 24 '14 at 17:47
  • Adjacent means “lying next to”, so the corresponding verb must be to place next to. – tchrist Jun 24 '14 at 17:58

Juxtapose may be used of one entity to another, or of two or more entities.

The editor juxtaposed that paragraph to this one.

He juxtaposed the two paragraphs, and added a brief transition at the head of the second.

There are also adject and appose, but neither is in much contemporary use

| improve this answer | |
  • Since I already effectively accepted this answer by implementing it in what I was working on, I think I can give you a check mark. – Y     e     z Jun 30 '14 at 19:31
  • The word "juxtapose" has the purpose of highlighting a contrasting characteristic, for ironic or dramatic purpose. – jaxter Sep 27 '16 at 20:55

‘Juxtapose’ isn't bad, but has something of an imprecise or arbitrary connotation. Things have been put next to each other… and that happens to have occurred here… but they might just as easily have been put somewhere else...

I would suggest the term collocate, which (a) is already in common grammatical use, and (b) has a rather more definite sense of intention. The two paragraphs (or whatever) have been brought together and placed at this point for some specific purpose. This position is somehow definitively desirable, for both items as a combination, not merely as two individual things placed side-by-side.

| improve this answer | |

Consider the verb to abut (2nd sense and example).


  1. to be adjacent; touch or join at the edge or border (often followed by on, upon, or against)

  2. to cause to abut


  1. This piece of land abuts on a street.

  2. Click the left-most button underneath “Distribute Spacing” to abut the top/bottom edges of the rectangles.

| improve this answer | |

adjacent is an adjective that describes a state of proximity between 2 entities.

In order to "make" something "adjacent" to another, you can say something along the line of:

to move something adjacent to something else

| improve this answer | |

You can use "conjoin", which comes the closest in meaning to that for which you are asking.

| improve this answer | |

'next to'--'he inserted that paragraph next to this one.'

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    It's also not a verb, which is what the OP is looking for. "He nexted the two pictures ... ?" – Peter Shor Jun 30 '14 at 19:21
  • He inserted that paragraph next to this one. Plain talk! – user3847 Jun 30 '14 at 19:25
  • Thanks for your suggestion. Next to is not "one word" as the question was requesting and tagged. I'd be fine with two syllables, as long as they don't have a space between them. Heck, I'd even go for one syllable! – Y     e     z Jun 30 '14 at 19:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.