Just as shortchange means cheating someone by giving insufficient money as change, the word I am looking for means cheating through counterfeit money.

There are words as simple as deceive, bilk, swindle, cozen and others, but I couldn't find a word that means exactly what I need.


To shove [the queer] - verb 4. (slang) - To pass (counterfeit money).

I've not actually come across "Let's shove that guy" as a transitive usage meaning "Let's palm off some dud notes on him", but it seems like a small and natural functional shift to me.


From Lexicon balatronicum: A Dictionary of Buckish, Francis Grose:

To smash. To pass counterfeit money.

From Dictionary of American Underworld Lingo, Hyman:

push, v. 2. To pass or issue, especially counterfeit currency or negotiables

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.