Would it be proper to say freshman students, freshmen, or freshmen students?


It is worth noting that I have since learned it is more acceptable in educational circles to use the term "first-year students" instead of "freshmen".

  • 1
    Note freshman (freshmen) is US and fresher (freshers) is UK. At least fresher is informal and I suspect the same for freshman. – Hugo Oct 26 '11 at 9:38
  • I sometimes call them "freshpersons". – GEdgar Dec 27 '12 at 13:39
  • @Hugo What are female first-year students called? are they freshwomen? – WS2 Oct 19 '13 at 9:29
  • @WS2: In the UK it's just freshers and I don't know about the US but I suspect freshmen is used or just first years. – Hugo Oct 19 '13 at 12:25
  • 1
    @Hugo Pity, I rather liked the idea of 'freshwomen'! – WS2 Oct 19 '13 at 15:51

Both "freshmen" and "freshman students" are correct, but "freshmen students" is wrong. I think "freshmen" is the official term.

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    Yes, I would think in almost any context where "freshmen" is used it is clear that you are referring to students. You could imagine contexts, however, where you need to distinguish between "freshman students" and "freshman senators" in which case "freshman ..." should be used. – Edward Tanguay Aug 5 '10 at 20:10
  • To be PC, I always used to say Freshpersons. – moioci Aug 5 '10 at 21:55
  • 3
    @moioci: this is entirely a matter of personal preference, but I think "freshpersons" sounds weird. I prefer "first-years." There's a bit more of a risk of sounding pretentious, but that hasn't been a big problem for me. – Pops Aug 6 '10 at 0:01
  • 3
    I think "freshperson" is more pretentious than "freshman." – Claudiu Oct 22 '10 at 13:58
  • 5
    @moioci That's very speciest. You should say "freshbeings". – Jay Feb 22 '12 at 15:19

In Canada, or at least in the part of Canada where I went to school, you can also say frosh. The singular and plural are the same. It can also be used as an adjective, as in frosh week, the first week of the term when the frosh are introduced to the school (and local pubs).

| improve this answer | |
  • I heard that, too, in the Northeast US. Though not at my school. And at the University of Chicago, it was "first-years." – jbelacqua Mar 20 '11 at 6:42
  • FWIW: We used that word in Oklahoma as well. – T.E.D. Aug 25 '11 at 19:15

Looking at the definition of freshman on the New Oxford American English, I find two examples:

We invited the freshmen.
[as adjective] A freshman second baseman.

In English, when a word is used as an adjective, the plural form of that word is not used.

(*) We invited the freshmen students.

| improve this answer | |

You can also say "freshers", although I'm not sure if it's proper.

| improve this answer | |
  • 5
    +1 "Freshers" is common usage in the UK. Fresher is in the OED as Pronunciation:/ˈfrɛʃə/ noun British informal term for freshman – RedGrittyBrick Dec 30 '10 at 11:45

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.