What do you call a brightly lit spot, especially as a result of reflecting the light source (e.g. sun) off a glassy surface?

  • 8
    It is a specular highlight Jun 19, 2014 at 18:02
  • 2
    @StoneyB That's an answer.
    – Daniel
    Jun 19, 2014 at 20:49
  • 1
    @StoneyB that's the answer. You should post it.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Jun 20, 2014 at 5:40
  • @StoneyB It's not too late to re-post your comment as an answer. It may be concise, but it perfectly describes the phenomenon that the asker mentioned, and I would hate for your answer to be lost (as it is, after all, posted as a comment). Jun 20, 2014 at 18:29
  • It's only a specular highlight if you're talking about the bright spot on the reflective surface. If you mean the spot of light on another surface that results from reflection (like a mirror onto the ceiling), it's called a specular reflection. The question seems ambiguous to me.
    – Gob Ties
    Jun 20, 2014 at 19:18

3 Answers 3


I believe that would be glare.

glare (noun): a harsh uncomfortably bright light (the glare of a neon sign) (the glare of publicity); especially: painfully bright sunlight


sparkle, gleam, flash.

["It will flame out, like shining from shook foil..." -- GMH]


...especially as a result of reflecting the light source (e.g. sun) off a glassy surface?

Catoptric adj. pertaining to the branch of optics which studies reflected light from mirrors and shiny surfaces


Relucent: Reflecting light; shining; glittering; glistening; bright; luminous; splendid. [1913 Webster]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.