As the title mentions: what is generic term for any work to be marked by teacher (exam, test, assignment, report) ?

  • I would call it an assignment, as you did. – Robusto Jun 16 '14 at 17:11
  • Graded work is any exam, test, assignment, report marked by a teacher, or their assistant – Third News Jun 16 '14 at 22:14

Classwork or homework were the two categories used when I was at school. You could also add exercise to your list of more general words.

Exams and Tests tend to be under set conditions, usually timed and invigilated in some way. Assignments and reports are usually homework, because you are assigned to go away and report back on what you have learned.

edit: as @Geobits pointed out, a good general word for assessed work working towards a particular qualification is coursework.

  • Also coursework. – Gob Ties Jun 16 '14 at 17:10
  • As a university teacher, I generally use coursework to refer to the set of courses a student must take and pass to complete a degree program or similar requirement, though neither M-W nor OED nor MS-Word appears to recognize the word at all. For the meaning here in question I favor schoolwork or academic work or just work or even (borrowing from lawyering, in the context of syllabus language insisting that the stuff in question be authentically the student's own) academic work product. – Brian Donovan Jun 16 '14 at 17:38
  • @BrianDonovan Yes, I've seen it used for the work done for a single class and in the broader sense you mentioned. I typically see it used in the first sense more in lower grades, such as high/secondary-school work. – Gob Ties Jun 16 '14 at 19:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.