After asking this question on MathEducators.SE, I was struck by the absolute awkwardness of not having a word to refer to the student of a tutor. As you will notice, the question contains in its title the awkward phrase "tutor-student;" I would like to find a suitable replacement for that word in my day-to-day use [as I am a tutor!].

Question in short: What is the single-word equivalent for "tutor-student"?

  • I probably could have used the "mathematics" tag....I didn't because even though it applies to myself in the sense of mathematics, it really is a bigger question than just math-tutoring specifically – Shokhet Jun 16 '14 at 3:52
  • You mean 'tutee'? Is that it? – Lester Nubla Jun 16 '14 at 3:53
  • @LesterNubla Is that a word??? ....that's what I came up with, but couldn't believe that it existed in real English....are there any better alternatives? – Shokhet Jun 16 '14 at 3:53
  • Oh yes it is a word. dictionary.reference.com/browse/tutee?s=t – Lester Nubla Jun 16 '14 at 3:54
  • 1
    Haha. I can't think of another word. Let's just wait for some geek to answer your question. :) – Lester Nubla Jun 16 '14 at 3:59

Single word for tutor-student is tutee

may be you can simply call it student or pupil.

  • 1
    Definitely just student! – curiousdannii Jun 16 '14 at 5:56

I've been tutoring for almost six years now. I always refer to my "tutees" or "tutored-students" as simply "my student(s)". SOMETIMES, there's confusion about whether or not I am a teacher (because I have "students"... therefore I must teach in a classroom) but more often than not, the context of the convo gives enough info for the person with whom I'm talking to to understand that ... no, I'm not a teacher.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.