Suppose that we analyse the speed of a car. Then important (lower level) properties of a car to consider are: an engine, aerodynamics, weight, etc. But there are also other properties of a car that are important for some other use, but do not affect the speed of a car in a direct way, e.g. the availability of airbags concerns the safety (rather than the speed) of a car.

Note, here the properties of the speed and safety are at the same level of an abstraction of a car. The properties lower from them, an engine and an availability of an airbag are at the same level of an abstraction of a car too.

I would like an English word (a noun or an adjective) for a property that:

  1. does not affect the main property P1 of interest,

  2. has a clear purpose and affects some other property P2 where the properties P1 and P2 as attributes concern the same level of detail.

  • Such a property would be irrelevant to P1. If you want to indicate the property is not irrelevant overall you can mention that is relevant to P2.
    – oerkelens
    Jun 10, 2014 at 15:30
  • 2
    I don't follow the question. Does 1 say that "P1 does not affect P1"?
    – Rupe
    Jun 10, 2014 at 15:34
  • A kind of sister-property, an independent entity ranking pari-passu with the first and sharing its status as a factor. There's likely to be a good word for that, let's try.
    – Kris
    Jun 10, 2014 at 15:43
  • How about coordinate or coordinating ?
    – ermanen
    Jun 10, 2014 at 16:44
  • @Rupe A typo corrected. Jun 10, 2014 at 18:04

1 Answer 1


I think that you may refer to non essential properties as accessories (airbags or car radio for instance) or minor features.

  • In the context of the example I gave it may work, however, I need to a more general and abstract word applicable for my thesis whose example is out of the scope to explain. Jun 13, 2014 at 21:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.