Is there a word that describes a natural phenomenon which rarely occurs, yet when it does so, it causes widespread destruction?

closed as unclear what you're asking by RegDwigнt Jun 8 '14 at 15:55

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • What does high intensity mean here? What sorts of events are you thinking of? You mean like supernovae or climate-changing meteor impacts or lunar eclipses? – tchrist Jun 8 '14 at 15:56
  • The word is catastrophe, natural catastrophe, or natural disaster. – RegDwigнt Jun 8 '14 at 15:57
  • ekpyrosis: the destruction of the universe by fire -ekpyrotic – Third News Jun 8 '14 at 20:29
  • @tchrist exactly the sort of events you mentioned – Rudstar Jun 10 '14 at 8:55

Some words that come to mind are volcanic, eruptive, cataclysmic, orgasmic and paroxysmal.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.