What is currently accepted as the proper title for a person from France? Is it still the gender-specific Frenchman/Frenchwoman, or is Frenchperson the new term?
(I use French as just an example, obviously. Same question for English folks)

  • I've personally stuck to using "French person" or "British person" etc. but I have no idea if there's any consensus on that.
    – pavja2
    Commented Jun 6, 2014 at 5:41
  • possible duplicate of Is there a difference between "Frenchmen" and "French men"?
    – njboot
    Commented Jun 6, 2014 at 5:46
  • Ngram shows an increasing usage of 'French person', but 'Frenchman' is still more popular.
    – user66974
    Commented Jun 6, 2014 at 5:53
  • If French is only an example, are you looking for a generic suffix for people from any country. man/men does work with French and English but doesn't work with a lot of nationalities; German, Japan, American etc. It does work with China but I'm not sure if Chinaman/Chinamen is PC anymore.
    – Frank
    Commented Jun 6, 2014 at 6:27
  • If people are going to start promoting gender-specific designations for ethnicity or nationality, some obvious possibilities are Normen/Norwomen and Germen/Gerwomen. ;-)
    – Erik Kowal
    Commented Jun 6, 2014 at 6:34

2 Answers 2


Frenchman is not gender specific:

1) a native or inhabitant of France

2) a person who is of French descent

However, Frenchman does not = "French man" or "French woman."

"A French person" constitutes the gender neutral form of these.

Use the accepted "Frenchman." To address someone as a "French person" sounds awkward and contrived in my opinion.


It goes against the URL, but have you considered writing Les Français?

  • He is un Français. She is une Française.
    – dangph
    Commented Jan 6, 2015 at 6:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.