I use the following type of sentences a lot, because I do not know any alternatives:


As my child grows over time, I become older.

By which I mean that I my child is growing, and I am getting older, and this is a constant process.

What are the alternative ways to express such things?


  • Your first question is a very basic grammar question, and the answer is yes. Verbs in the third person singular take -s (except modal verbs). There are several ways of expressing simultaneous/parallel actions/processes like this one, but as X happens, Y (also) happens is perfectly fine and very idiomatic, so you don’t need to use any alternative ways. Jun 4, 2014 at 19:02
  • Thank you! However, sometimes I seek more prestigious styles for academic papers, specially for longer questions (when X and Y are long).
    – Ali
    Jun 4, 2014 at 19:04

2 Answers 2


You could replace “As” with “When” or “While”.  Another structure is “X and Y  happen [or occur] concurrently [or simultaneously, but that doesn’t mean exactly the same thing]”.


"I age in proportion to my child's development over time".

  • 2
    This is mathematically incorrect, since your child’s age doubles between his first and second birthdays, but the same is not true for you (although it may feel like it!).
    – Scott
    Jun 5, 2014 at 14:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.