For a large property, or estate, what is the term for buildings other than the main residence that are separate and unconnected?

2 Answers 2


Consider outbuilding, dependency, annex, and lodge.

outbuilding, (chiefly BrE) outhouse: a detached building subordinate to a main building

dependency: outbuilding; annex

annex: a building added on to a larger one or an auxiliary building situated near a main one.

lodge: a house on an estate originally for the use of a gamekeeper, caretaker, or porter

  • Annex is a building built next to another and attached, lodge is a type of building and would normally be the main building, and outbuilding is an old term for shed. Jun 4, 2014 at 5:00
  • "Outbuilding" perhaps, but please lets not confuse that with an "outhouse"...
    – Fraser Orr
    Jun 4, 2014 at 5:16
  • @RyeɃreḁd FYI RyeBread, the main building on a large property or estate is not called "lodge" but "mansion." A lodge is usually found near a property's gate.
    – Elian
    Jun 4, 2014 at 5:59
  • In the UK, the word "outhouses" would in fact be the correct answer.
    – Rupe
    Jun 4, 2014 at 11:47
  • @Rupe I'll make an edit to point that out.
    – Elian
    Jun 4, 2014 at 12:07

Usually called a guest house in the US.

Now there are also several terms depending on what you need. The term detached is used formally. A detached garage. A detached guest house/quarters.

There is also the outhouse for those still with outdoor toilets.

Cabana next to the pool.

Shed that houses your outdoor tools.

  • @RyeBread An annex is not necessarily attached to the main building. In addition, an outhouse is usually a small outdoor building used as a toilet and formerly called "privy." merriam-webster.com/dictionary/outhouse
    – Elian
    Jun 4, 2014 at 5:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.