Is there a word for a person who can read lines on a forehead?

In India, some people can read forehead lines and claim to tell you your future.

  • 1
    Is the word the same as what? – Janus Bahs Jacquet May 26 '14 at 17:27
  • How about foreheadcaster, forehead teller", or *progcreasticator? ;-) – Drew May 26 '14 at 17:33
  • 4
    A brow-knowser? – Erik Kowal May 26 '14 at 19:14
  • 1
    Or a headliner. Or a reader between the headlines. – Drew May 26 '14 at 22:28
  • @Robusto I'm asking you as the highest reputation close-voter in the list, what part of the question is unclear? I would expect the second and fifth highest reputation holders in this site to be able to understand a simple question like "Is the there any word same for person who can read lines on forehead" despite it's unusual phrasing. I don't know if it was close-voted before or after Mari-LouA's edit but surely it's quite clear now and can be reopened. – Frank May 27 '14 at 15:40

The skill is called metopomancy.

The practitioner is a metoposcopist.

| improve this answer | |
  • According to the link (which I found) the person versed in this "art" is a "metoposcopist". You might want to edit your answer. – Mari-Lou A May 26 '14 at 21:32
  • 1
    @Mari-LouA - I think a metoscopist is a practitioner of metoposcopy, which is determining someone's character by from the lines on the forehead rather than of metopomancy, which involved divining the future by reading such lines. I think metopomancer is the appropriate word for a practitioner of metopmancy. – James McLeod Jun 8 '14 at 12:40
  • A subspecialization of Phrenology? google.com/… – Wayfaring Stranger Jun 8 '14 at 19:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.