Which English words place the tip of the tongue between teeth?
For example: other and that

  • 4
    You give examples, then you ask if the examples exist? It's like asking "are there English words that start with an a, like apple?"
    – oerkelens
    May 26, 2014 at 15:23
  • Are there any English words formed from only the letters A, R, and E (in that order, with no repeated letters)? May 26, 2014 at 15:38
  • Out of the mouth?
    – Third News
    May 26, 2014 at 15:55
  • @oerkelens I wanted to make sure that these examples are true May 26, 2014 at 17:09

2 Answers 2


Interdental consonants are produced by placing the tip of the tongue between the upper and lower front teeth. Examples that use this th sound include that, then, thin, there, both, wroth, etc. The tongue may or may not actually protrude past the teeth



I'm not sure what you mean by "get the tongue out", but certainly any word with the old thorn (th) sound is typically made almost entirely by pushing the tongue a fair bit forward near the front teeth and blowing air past it (sometimes involving the larynx not at all).

I believe the linguists refer to this as a voiceless dental frictive. Supposedly, some Turkic languages do this as well.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.