This question already has an answer here:

I am looking for a word for sentences which read the same forwards and when the order of words is reversed?

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about palindromes, in which individual characters are reversed. I’m thinking, instead, of sentences where the characters within words are left alone and the order of the words itself is reversed, for example:

That is that.

marked as duplicate by Caleb, Mitch, JMP, jimm101, J. Taylor Aug 8 '18 at 22:59

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • Kinda "Jimmy loves Mom" <=> "Mom loves Jimmy" ? – Kris May 26 '14 at 13:41
  • 1
    Or Father Charles goes down and ends battle" <=> "Battle ends and down goes Charles' father / Fall leaves as soon as leaves fall / Girl, bathing on Bikini, eyeing boy, finds boy eyeing bikini on bathing girl. / "One for all and all for one." – Kris May 26 '14 at 13:41
  • Apart from Tony Blair's famous deflection 'John is John' etc, I don't think this sort of symmetry is possible. – Edwin Ashworth May 26 '14 at 15:00
  • Father and me help everyone see or see everyone help me and Father That sort of thing (or just half of it) ? – Frank May 26 '14 at 15:55

After some research I found out that this could either be called a palindrome, (This would be used when you want all letters to be the same when read backwards, even though I do believe this rarely occurs in sentences), or a palingram (This would be used when the letters themselves do not matter). Ofcourse, in both cases the meaning of the sentence should be the same when read backwards.

I hope this helped you out a bit more.


I believe those are called palingrams.

While palindrome is an option, palingram seems the broader of the two terms, including both reversible letters and reversible words. I am still looking for a somewhat authoritative source to substantiate others who have expressed this view on their own websites, including:http://theenglishdrivenlife.weebly.com/1/previous/2.html and http://www.rinkworks.com/words/palindromes.shtml.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.