Alright, so this is a pretty pervasive style in modern CGI characters now:

enter image description here

Colloquially I'd refer to it as "anime hair but real" but anyone who isn't familiar with anime won't even know what that means (plus it's still animated) and I'd like a definition that can stand on its own. What sort of adjectives could I use to describe it? Spiky implies something more punk; it's kinda feathery but calling that would confuse it with the feathered hair fad of the 70s; it's too neat to be shaggy, and as for beyond that, I'll shamelessly admit I'm not proficient with hair. Is there an actual name for this style?

  • 1
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is about hair and CGI. Commented May 24, 2014 at 1:27
  • 5
    she's looking for a word...that's as close to english usage as one might get. Yet i fear she won't find many answers (i hope to be proven wrong).
    – Matthaeus
    Commented May 24, 2014 at 1:42
  • 2
    @Matthaeus - no, this is not "as close to english usage as one might get." This is a question about hair, rendered in CGI, that happens to be in English. Not every question in English is about English! Commented May 24, 2014 at 2:24
  • 1
    @Elliott Frisch - you've inadvertently proved my point. There are lots of other fruits than just oranges that are orangey (kumquats, tangerines, etc.), just as there are many blues and yellows and browns that are greenish.
    – Merk
    Commented May 24, 2014 at 2:44
  • 1
    No medica, it is not off topic. I am asking how to describe it, in words, not how to render it nor how to cut hair that way. Word requests are a valid question for this site.
    – BB ON
    Commented May 24, 2014 at 3:08

5 Answers 5



Originally a negative meaning, tousled hair or tousled good looks has become a positive way of referring to this kind of slightly unkempt but stylish hair.

  • I think he means more the clumped nature than the tousled nature.
    – wchargin
    Commented May 24, 2014 at 4:45
  • This is completely wrong, no offense. It's anime hair, CGI hair, video game hair, pixar hair, game character hair or 3D hair. It's bizarre and freaky this question is causing so much trouble. The answer is, for goodness sake, "anime hair".
    – Fattie
    Commented May 24, 2014 at 8:56

If you said Emo-style hair, that's what I'd imagine.


I think that this sort of matted, rumpled , untidy hair style which is quite popular among young people is called out of bed style.


It's anime hair, it's that simple.

Within the context of internal discussion by professional CGI hair stylers, they very simply use the exact same terms "we" would use for haircuts.

(So, 70s, disco, like Hatsune Miko, long, short, tousled, like James Dean, bangs, Barbie-style, beehive, crew-cut, whatever.)

It's that simple.

You will be amazed when I tell you, I was in fact just recently was party to a conversation by such professionals! :)

Note it's worth noting that the technology has moved on far, far beyond this.

At pixar, today, a conversation might go like "we want incredibly old-fashioned anime hair, like from 2010 - four generations of technology ago!" "Wow, you mean real anime hair? man that is old old school"

indeed, note that the (amazing) hair in for example Frozen deliberately has a just-slightly anime hair look.

typical site where you can buy hair,



Anime or emo. The top layers of my hair is somewhat like that. People always tell me my hair is emo or that of an anime character, I agree.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.