Is there a name for the "3d" version of a crescent shape, like there for square (cube), circle (cylinder) etc. Can I call it a "crescent prism" - is this a valid term for it?


  • 3
    Croissant. Mmmm.
    – Oso
    May 21 '14 at 16:43

This shape is unlikely to be common enough to warrant a single word to uniquely describe it. The mathematical term for the crescent shape formed by two circles is "lune" (Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lune_(mathematics) ). So "Extruded lune" or "Extruded crescent" would be fine.


You imply that the 3D version of a circle is a cylinder, but that is not the ONLY 3D shape possible (sphere, etc.).

However, based on your image, the shape you are describing is called an

extruded crescent

(An extruded circle would also be a cylinder as you described).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.