Reading scientific papers, I often see at the end of them, in the biographies of the authors, some abbreviations like the following: (S’70–M’72–SM’86–F’91).

I think that they are correlated with graduation dates, but I did not find any good explanation. Can anybody explain their meaning to me, and give a complete list of those abbreviations?

1 Answer 1


By any chance are these appearing in the journals of organisations like the IEEE that have different levels of membership? The abbreviations could indicate the different level of membership an author had during different periods, e.g.

  • S = student member
  • M = (full) member
  • SM = senior member
  • F = fellow
  • Yes, that is taken from an IEEE Transaction. This sounds correct. Mar 22, 2011 at 11:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.