I'm a substitute teacher and recently was teaching a kindergarten class about long i sound. They were crossing out words without long i, circling words with long i. One of the words was ink. I told them no, listen , we don't say i nk (say it with a long i to see what I mean) and they crossed it out. Later, looking at the teacher's edition, it had ink circled. I thought it was just a mistake then I saw that an ink bottle was actually used as an example in the book for the long i sound. I thought something was terribly wrong so I looked it up in the dictionary—it shows i in ink as a long i sound (I looked at many dictionaries, all were the same). This can't be right, but I'm wondering if it's one if those things that's just been accepted and not questioned. Or if it's a category that hasn't been explored yet as needing a separate sound to clarify, like words with r-controlled vowels. Any comments on this would be extremely helpful.


I realized I made a mistake with my original post and used long I all the way through. I meant to say that in ink, think, pink, thing, ring, king, etc., in other words, words ending in "nk" and "ng", the "i" is usually pronounced more like a long e sound, like e in meet. At least, that is how I have always pronounced it and heard it pronounced. I'm from California so this could be regional, but I've never heard it pronounced with a short i like in it. Fumblefingers listed words in which a short i occurs, including ink, pink, bit, fit. I definitely hear short i in bit and fit, sounds the same. In ink and pink, i does not sound the same to me, nor have I heard people say it with the same i sound as in bit. Unless the i is getting so quickly blended into the "ng" that it is almost ignored, in which case it should have a special sound category like we teach r-controlled vowels. The pronunciation rules could be very different between the US and the UK .

  • 2
    I find it impossible to credit that any reputable dictionary would show the 'long i' vowel in ink. Is it possible that the dictionaries you consulted employ the IPA symbol ɪ for the 'short i' sound, rather than the ĭ symbol, now found only in very old-fashioned US dictionaries? --Could you supply us a reference to the book in question? – StoneyB on hiatus May 15 '14 at 16:49
  • 1
    Assuming by long/short i you mean the same as most of us, I think perhaps you're simply misreading the phonetic transcription of ink. A short i occurs in ink, pink, bit, fit. The long one is bite, fight. – FumbleFingers May 15 '14 at 16:49
  • 2
    Could you give us some examples of what you mean by "long i"? It can mean two things (at least), and it doesn't describe the sound, so it's not used, except in education schools. It can either mean the diphthong /ay/ (as in ride), which was pronounced /i:/ in Middle English, or it can mean the tense high front vowel /i/ (as in reed; in UK usage /i:/), contrasting with the lax high front vowel /ɪ/, as in rid. If you're in the UK, you may mean the latter. Or not. Anyway, some examples are always helpful in explaining. – John Lawler May 15 '14 at 16:57
  • 1
    John Lawler, it's unlikely that Linda is in the UK. This country does not use the word kindergarten. – Tristan r May 15 '14 at 20:16
  • John Lawler, not only the use of the word kindergarten, but, substitute teacher as well, which is also not used in the UK. I believe it is AE for what is called a supply teacher in the UK macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/substitute-teacher – Tristan r May 16 '14 at 17:01

Something funny happens to short i in some California accents; what most of us pronounce as short i (as in sit or king) turns into long e (as in seat or keen) when it's before an "nk" or an "ng". So ink would be pronounced eenk in these accents.

But this is a California thing; people from other regions don't do this. So the dictionaries are correct; except in California, pink and ring have a short i like bid.

  • 1
    Plus, she said "long i", not "long e". I was noticing that tense and lax vowels neutralize before /ŋ/ (but not before other nasals), so that gives phoneme space for California Angma Tensing, and I was thinking that was what she meant, but then I remembered that "long I" was sposta be /ay/. Then I got confused and made my comment above. – John Lawler May 15 '14 at 17:17

Modern neutral American English often uses the long ee sound before nk and ng. It's not regional so much as it is just the evolution of neutral American English. For example, kin and king are completely different "I" sounds. But unfortunately many English learning materials still teach it as a short sound.


Also here in Maryland we say K-ee-ng (king) and p-ee-nk (pink). A google search actually brought me to this thread, because I had a similar question regarding my son's Kimdergarten homework.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.