I'm looking for a verb/some verbs here so I can say:

I (verb) those two digits and that's why you read 25 here (instead of 52).

I don't want to use "mix up" because I'd like to specify this "action" between two digits 2 and 5. I hope I made myself clear. Thank you!

  • You switched them around. This is quite a basic question, which suggests that you might find our sister site English Language Learners a better place to ask future questions. ELU here mainly deals with more advanced topics of the oddities and usage of the English language. – Janus Bahs Jacquet May 15 '14 at 12:16
  • Swapped or switched around. Nobody ever says "transposed". I am cautious to migrate this to ELL, as you can simply take the verb in your mother tongue and then look up the translation in a bilingual dictionary of your choice. – RegDwigнt May 15 '14 at 12:19
  • Related question: english.stackexchange.com/questions/32889/… – T.E.D. May 15 '14 at 12:23
  • Thank you for your replies! Sorry if this is off-topic for this site. I wasn't aware of your sister site and I just got this verb on the tip of my tongue so I thought I'd just drop a question here. My bad. – Eliza May 15 '14 at 12:25
  • 3
    I always say "transposed". People with dyslexia sometimes see letters transposed from their actual position, which can cause confusion and amusement with large signs such as "FCUK" (French Connection UK, a clothing store). – Spehro Pefhany May 15 '14 at 12:41

I transposed those two digits.

More colloquially, you can say "I switched those two digits round".

  • I would not use transpose here unless the meaning were completely clear—with something like numbers, I would probably be more likely to think that you transposed the intact set of numbers to somewhere else. Perhaps that is just the coder in me being biased, though. – Janus Bahs Jacquet May 15 '14 at 12:31
  • transposed is perfect for this. – francis May 15 '14 at 12:32

Transpose - cause two or more things to change place

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.