Examples: 12.3.2 OR

What would be the right term for the values that are separated by the periods?

E.g.: The 2nd XXX of = 168. Or the 3rd XXX OF 12.3.2 = 2.

The idea of the word is similar to Compartment/Part/location.

Thank you for your valuable inputs.

  • 'Second period-delimited value' describes it completely, but is a bit of a mouthful – mjsqu May 10 '14 at 11:07

In an IP address, that's the second octet. In everything else, that's the second section or simply the second number.

| improve this answer | |
  • That's not necessarily true. Often times, Numbers like this are formatted for a particular reason. For example, dates may be formatted with a period: “YYYY.MM.DD” in which case, you refer to each grouping as what it stands for. The same can be said of software version numbers: “MR.mR.Mr.mr.b” (Major Release, minor Release, Major revision, minor revision, build number). – HalosGhost May 11 '14 at 6:13
  • 1
    @HalosGhost yes, but you are answering a different question there. This question here is specifically not talking about dates or version numbers (or IPs, for that matter). It is a most generic question, and so it gets the most generic answer. – RegDwigнt May 11 '14 at 9:40
  • I only wanted to qualify yaur answer because one example the OP gave (12.3.2) looked a little like a version number. – HalosGhost May 11 '14 at 15:08
  • @HalosGhost yes my intention for this question was specifically targeted towards version numbering. What is the best word to call eat "group" of numbers. First "group", second "group"? – Ryan May 31 '14 at 7:32
  • @Ryan if you are speaking about a version number, then it is likely best to refer to each group by what it actually represents (as in my last comment). However, you could say something like each “group” or “set." – HalosGhost May 31 '14 at 11:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.