Does such a word exist? I don't mean to excess (IE, a glutton), but rather one who eats because he enjoys eating. Essentially, I'm looking for a word that's synonymous with "a food hedonist", or "a hedonistic eater." A word would be ideal, but a term would suffice as well :).

I love to eat!

  • possible duplicate of Words that describe food and eating
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented May 10, 2014 at 11:11
  • 4
    The question referred to has been closed because it was deemed 'too broad.' If one feels my question is a "possible duplicate," bring the issue up with the moderators rather than sullying my post with unfounded speculations. Thank you.
    – njboot
    Commented May 10, 2014 at 11:57
  • 1
    The site works by self-regulation in the first instance. There is already an answer here, that would appear by searching for person fond of food. However, I think Erik's 'epicure' and 'gastrowhatsits' are worth keeping. Commented May 10, 2014 at 13:42

10 Answers 10


"Foodie" is a more informal term.

From Wikipedia: "A foodie is a gourmet, or a person who has an ardent or refined interest in food and alcoholic beverages. A foodie seeks new food experiences as a hobby rather than simply eating out of convenience or hunger."

  • 6
    When you're quoting a text in order to support your answer, it can be useful to other readers to know where it comes from. :-)
    – Erik Kowal
    Commented May 10, 2014 at 11:13
  • This is the best term here. Commented May 10, 2014 at 12:45
  • "Foodie" is a term which makes me cringe almost as much as this... 4music.com/shows/last-fan-standing
    – tobyink
    Commented May 11, 2014 at 6:37
  • A foodie is someone who not only enjoys eating, but knows a lot about food. Like all nerds who get heavily into what they enjoy and learn more than most, they are food nerds. It's more accurate than epicure, which is not specific to food. Commented Jan 18, 2018 at 19:16
  • A gastronome would be a less recent synonym for a foodie. Commented Jan 18, 2018 at 19:19

Gourmand, gourmet and epicure appear to match what you're after, as perhaps does food connoisseur.

  • YES! Though, I'm confused, since Merriam alternatively defines it as "a person who eats and drinks too much," while also listing "glutton" as a near antonym. That makes no sense. The primary definition is spot on, however.
    – njboot
    Commented May 10, 2014 at 10:01
  • 2
    @user2384224 see also: epicurean
    – jimsug
    Commented May 10, 2014 at 10:53
  • 3
    I thought a gastronome was something bagpipe players used to keep time. Commented May 10, 2014 at 12:51
  • 1
    The gastronomes of Zurich: Swiss trolls. Commented May 11, 2014 at 9:57
  • 1
    @Edwin: Soviet food shops were called "Gastronom". I don't think an epicure would agree.
    – David Pugh
    Commented Apr 24, 2015 at 20:52

Aside from "gourmand," consider "bon vivant," "food epicurean," and "hearty eater."

bon vivant: (from French) a person who enjoys going out with friends and eating good food and drinking good wine.

to be compared with:

hedonist: a person whose life is devoted to the pursuit of pleasure and self-gratification.


bon viveur: a person who lives high and well; man-about-town.

However, "gourmet" and "gastronome" don't necessarily imply a hedonistic behavior to my French ear, but rather some sophisticated knowledge about high quality (often expensive) food and wines, coupled with the enjoyment of choosing, eating and drinking them.

  • I am learning French and I agree on your observations. Yet we are on ELU and you seem to have a lot of French answers. I enjoy the French answers because it allows me to learn but it sure gets into the grey area of what English is or isn't. Commented May 10, 2014 at 20:28
  • 1
    I’m sure you know this, but just for the internet record, English has a pretty strong French influence, thanks to them taking us over in 1066. There are quite a few French phrases that have been adopted into English when we don’t have a term for them — bon vivant is one, joie de vivre is another. (And if it sounds like the French have more phrases for being happy than we do, I assure you that’s entirely coincidental. Oh look, it’s raining again.) Commented Jun 22, 2014 at 14:56

A gourmand is someone who loves to eat "food for food's sake."

This is in contrast to a gourmet, whose interest is in "fine" food.


Slightly off the precise word-topic would be a trencherman which best describes a person who has a hearty appetite and has no difficulty in eating all that is set before him.


a person who has a hearty appetite; a heavy eater

  • Answers here should have a source and a link, which I added for you. (Standards are higher now than when this question and most of its answers were posted.) The only place I have seen this word used is in the Gideon of Scotland Yard books -- a great series. Commander Gideon was frequently described as a trencherman.
    – ab2
    Commented Aug 7, 2016 at 19:59
  • Many thanks to ab2 for informing us of a "source and a link" to support my offering of "trencherman". I am new to this marvelous site and continue to learn about its rules of engagement. Commented Aug 8, 2016 at 1:42

In Australia such a person could be described as "good on the fang".


How about a Mealophile, or a Morselist?

What about Gastronomical (or just Gastro?)


I think the most common word for this - food hedonist - is pig.

It is highly negative to call someone a pig so usually it would be used to describe someone not present or used to describe yourself.


I basically like any kind of candy. I can eat all night. I am such a pig.

We can't buy any snacks that mom likes. She's such a pig, she will eat them before we get a chance.



Also a more clinical word with the exact meaning is Sitomania.

  • an obsession with food

  • An abnormal craving for food



A person who takes particular pleasure in fine food and drink.



Sybarite / Sybaritic expresses the enjoyment of fine food and drink.

a person who is self-indulgent in their fondness for sensuous luxury.

Google Dictionary

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.