There is a wall around my land(Garden). What is the correct word to call it?

  • parapet
  • parapet wall
  • rampart
  • truss
  • wall
  • Any other


  • 3
    The name of the picture you link to is garden_wall.jpg. Might that be an option, as obviously someone decided to call that thing by that name?
    – oerkelens
    May 8, 2014 at 8:16
  • That is a textbook example of a wall.
    – 568ml
    May 8, 2014 at 8:27
  • 5
    "Wall" or "garden wall" sound right. Also possible: "boundary wall". "Parapets" are low, usually on roofs (or on other boundaries from where one can fall off), "Ramparts" are defensive structures, "trusses" are triangular supports. So none of those 3 apply to that picture.
    – msam
    May 8, 2014 at 8:34
  • You already called it a wall. Why isn't wall suitable? May 8, 2014 at 10:37
  • 1
    It's simply the "garden wall."
    – Fattie
    May 8, 2014 at 13:28

6 Answers 6


I'd call that a brick wall (or, building on Frank's answer, a brick perimeter wall).

A perimeter wall can also be called a boundary wall.


That looks like a dividing wall.

If it goes all the way round your property it could be a perimeter wall

  • 1
    Frank, I reckon 'perimeter wall' only works on a large property. That looks like a typical english "semi", you'd never refer to it as a "perimeter wall" - I like your "dividing wall" or just garden wall.
    – Fattie
    May 8, 2014 at 13:29

That definitely looks like a compound wall. http://www.houzz.com/compound-wall reinforces my definition


That looks like a "privacy wall" to me.


enclosure is a special word for what you mean. OALD defines the word as a piece of land surrounded by a fence or wall.

  • I've never seen 'enclosure' used in an 'encloser' sense. Feb 7, 2022 at 14:59

I would call that a boundary of walls.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.