In a story, one person has two sons. One of them loves his parents and other hates his parents and beats them. In Hindi, the person who cares for his parents is called "Sapoot" and the person who beats his parents is called "Kapoot."

Are there equivalent terms in English?

  • 2
    I don't think there are words for these, though it reminds me of the parable of the Prodigal Son. I note by the way that "take remand of him" is meaningless in my (British) English - I had to read the question to understand what you meant by it.
    – Colin Fine
    May 6 '14 at 11:27
  • I agree with all of @ColinFine's points, adding I can't think of a single word for such a pair of people, other than stating they are very different/contrasting to one another.
    – deed02392
    May 6 '14 at 11:30
  • Hi! Friends in Hindi language, the person who cares to his parents is called "Sapoot" and the person who beats to his parents is called "Kapoot". and the story is written in Hindi language. there should be a specific word for those person in English language .
    – kuldeep
    May 6 '14 at 11:37
  • 8
    Why should there be a "word" in English to accurately describe every single character in every single story written in every single language in the world?
    – oerkelens
    May 6 '14 at 11:44
  • 2
    The British have 1000 words for rain. Or is it for Eskimos? Anyway, wouldn't we say 'good son' and 'bad son'? (The Prodigal's brother was not exactly a good son. It's the Father who impresses me.) May 6 '14 at 13:22

There was a continuing series in Highlights magazine (well represented in dentist offices) called "Goofus and Gallant" about the "Bad Boy" Goofus who did bad things and the contrasting good kid Gallant.

It is not an exact fit and applies to more situations, but might at least give AmE readers an idea of where you are going.


Jacob and Esau. Esau also had hairy hands (se other post)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.