I need a word or phrase to describe the sensation people experience when they hear nails scratching on a chalkboard. I don't want to describe the noise , just the sensation.

  • @Mari-LouA Thanks for the reference to the previous post........How do I mark this Question "Answered"?? May 3 '14 at 12:53
  • Short answer: you can't. You cannot even delete your question because it has received two answers. You could award somebody's post and that might discourage new answers from being suggested. I think only a moderator can close this question now. Try flagging it.
    – Mari-Lou A
    May 3 '14 at 12:58
  • @Mari-LouA Thank you for your help! May 3 '14 at 12:59
  • You can describe it about the same way you did: like nails on a chalkboard
    – user28567
    May 3 '14 at 17:06

Common terms for that include:

  • Sets (my) teeth on edge
  • Makes (my) skin crawl
  • Makes (my) hair stand on end

It makes teeth grind (or hurt)

That screeching noise makes my teeth hurt.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.