My wife was discussing pudding consistency this morning and used a sentence along the lines of, "I only like the pudding you make". I blinked and asked if she really liked the pudding I make and she replied, "No, I mean the pudding you make, you know, like if I were to make some pudding". She was using the "you" in a sense of a hypothetical person, I guess, like saying, "That's what you do in a crisis" when commenting on a riot scene in the news. You're not using "you" to refer to the person you're speaking to, but rather a form of general humanity.

Anyhow, is there a term for such a usage such that you might be able to answer, "Oh, sorry, I was using 'you' in the [term] context, not referring to you specifically"?

  • 2
    en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_you - for 'you' in situations where you might more formally say 'one', which I think is what you're getting at ("that's what one does in a crisis"). – aPaulT May 2 '14 at 11:43
  • That does seem to be exactly it. :) Do you want to post that as the answer? – Sean Duggan May 2 '14 at 12:29

This is (according to Wikipedia at least) known as "generic you".


In more formal English one might use "one" instead of a generic "you".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.