In Dutch a babysitter is called an "oppas". This gave rise to the word "oppaskinderen" which translates literally to "babysitter children".

As far as I could research, there is no single English word for this. Is there any combination of words that convey the same and doesn't sound like crap?

Example sentence
Dutch: "Hoe gaat het met de oppaskinderen?"
English: "How are the [babysitter children] doing?"

  • Who is the Dutch question asked of? – Andrew Leach Apr 30 '14 at 10:39
  • Do you mean who asked the question? If so, it is irrelevant I think, it can be a friend of someone who babysits for example. – Rengers Apr 30 '14 at 10:40
  • No, I mean who is it asked of (that is, who is it who answers the question)? – Andrew Leach Apr 30 '14 at 10:45
  • It is asked of someone who babysits/is an au pair. It doesn't make sense to ask it to someone else in Dutch, since you wouldn't refer to someone's own children as "oppaskinderen". – Rengers Apr 30 '14 at 10:48
  • 4
    short of using the artificial "the babysat children", you could be specific: "how are the children you babysit/take care of doing?" or simply, if there is enough context: "how are the children?". – msam Apr 30 '14 at 11:03

How are the charges doing?

comes to mind as

a person or thing committed to the care of another

  • 1
    +1 I like charges although it seems very formal and it would have to be in context (not asked of someone with a string of court appearances ahead of them) – Frank Apr 30 '14 at 11:55
  • 1
    While formally correct (so +1) I cannot imagine anyone using such a phrase in a normal conversation without getting a funny look. – Mike Chamberlain Apr 30 '14 at 13:25
  • Hehe. I agree. Sounds very Dickensian. How are the little brats/monsters doing would be more contemporary – mplungjan Apr 30 '14 at 13:41
  • 1
    Sounds more like something from a Schwarzenegger movie. – Patrick M Apr 30 '14 at 18:48
  • 1
    Very formal, but I like it! – Rengers May 1 '14 at 0:29

babysittee is a word I've seen a few times but it is not in any dictionary and I doubt it's commonly used. I guess it sounds like crap anyway ;-)


I already heard the terms "critter" and "monster" used that way.

"How are the (little) critters doing?"

"How are the little monsters doing?"

  • 1
    I've heard people refer to their own children that way. My parents variously called me rugrat, ankle-biter, knee-biter, yard-ape and probably a few more I'm forgetting. – Patrick M Apr 30 '14 at 18:50

protected by Community May 1 '14 at 8:10

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.