What do you call a person who is interested in many languages? I think linguist and polyglot refer to a person who is already well-versed. I need a word for a person who is just interested and starting off to be a linguist in the future.

  • 4
    You call a person interested in many languages a person interested in many languages.
    – tchrist
    Apr 28, 2014 at 2:30
  • 1
    Borrowing the punch line of an old joke, such a person is not likely American.
    – Theresa
    Apr 28, 2017 at 0:22

3 Answers 3


Linguaphile, which is defined as: a language and word lover.

or possibly, language enthusiast/aficionado/junkie/buff.


You could call them an

aspiring polyglot.

The definition of aspiring from ODO is:

Directing one's hopes or ambitions towards becoming a specified type of person.


Consider the term language freak.

"language minded" might also work for what you're looking for.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.