Is there a word to describe the fear of never again seeing one's mother (or at least any person)?

I have already checked the list of phobias that Wikipedia offers but could not find anything that fits the specific meaning I am looking for; perhaps there is such a word, but it does not have the word phobia attached to it.


  • 3
    If the person with the fear is a young child and the potential lost object over whom the fear arises is the child's mother, the psychological term often used for it is "separation anxiety."
    – Sven Yargs
    Apr 28, 2014 at 1:57

2 Answers 2


Is "separation anxiety disorder" the expression you're looking for?

SAD (Separation Anxiety Disorder) is a condition in which an individual experiments excessive anxiety regarding separation from home or from people to whom the individual has a strong emotional attachment, i.e. a parent, grandparents, or siblings.


The fear of not seeing one's mother ever again also refers to the fear of death or dead things and is called NECROPHOBIA.

  • You might want to provide a link or a reference for this so the users can go check this information.
    – Karlomanio
    Mar 7, 2019 at 15:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.