Suppose I have problems

  • listening and understanding English esp. of non-Indian accent
  • speaking English fluently

How should I tell someone about it using very few words instead of typing a long sentence?

  • 1
    Verbal as opposed to written? – mjsqu Apr 24 '14 at 15:30
  • 1
    Say you have limited oral fluency, and if they object that this only covers speech (not listening), point out that what you actually said was aural. – FumbleFingers Apr 24 '14 at 15:56
  • 1
    "I have difficulty with spoken English." – StoneyB Apr 24 '14 at 19:11

Consider "nonconversational English."

I'm not a certified teacher, but an American student, and could help with conversational and nonconversational English.

To tell someone you're nonconversational in English, you could say:

I'm not conversational in English, but I can read it and write it without any difficulty.


You can tell them that you are not proficient when it comes to verbal communication. Or your verbal communication skills are to be improved.

  • does verbal covers listening too? – user49815 Apr 24 '14 at 15:37
  • The word verbose is defined as "spoken rather than written; oral" thus I would not say it "covers listening" but I believe listening plays a huge role in verbal communication. – Archy Will He Apr 24 '14 at 15:39
  • 1
    @0arch: that is certainly not what verbose means to me (which is roughly "using too many words"). Did you mean verbal? – Colin Fine Apr 24 '14 at 15:52
  • @ColinFine Yup. Thanks for pointing it out. It was a typo. – Archy Will He Apr 25 '14 at 2:29

ESL -The acronym is well-used for difficulty in either listening or speech

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy