What are some common slang names for the souteneur - the illicit "manager" for prostitutes?

I'm fairly sure there are a few, but I can't find any in the common online resources and I need it for a fiction story - souteneur sounds way too 'official'.


Perhaps there's a subtlety here I missed, but "pimp" is a common word (too common perhaps to be slang?).

Similarly "panderer" or "procurer", though "pimp" is more easily understood as claiming exclusive marketing rights.

  • 5
    "Pimp" is what I'd go for. Or for a female manager, "madam". – tobyink Apr 22 '14 at 21:17
  • In fact, Merriam Webster gives "pimp" as the definition of "souteneur" (which is actually marked as "misspelled" by the Chrome spellchecker). – Kyle Strand Apr 23 '14 at 17:41

Souteneur is French. Its first meaning in French is supporter or backer. Its second meaning is the one you allude to. The more common name for this in French is maquereau, or just mack viz. Mack the Knife. (Maquerelle if it's a woman) and the legal word is proxénète. With just Google translate you should find the word you want.

  • 2
    Oh wow, so that’s where mack daddy comes from? – Bradd Szonye Apr 22 '14 at 22:29
  • 2
    Mack the Knife was not a pimp. His name was MacHeath. This is the origin of mack daddy though. – jwg Apr 23 '14 at 12:01

Ponce is another definition for someone in the business of prostitution.

Ponce: 1. a person, esp. a man, who solicits customers for a prostitute or a brothel, usu. in return for a share of the earnings; procurer.

Source: Collins Dictionary

  • That's a good answer and could only be improved by adding a link for the word. – Tristan r Apr 22 '14 at 20:30
  • Beware: in some dialects, "ponce" is also a derogatory term for an effete man or a gay man. – chapka Apr 23 '14 at 17:13

Cadet: [slang] a procurer.

mack daddy: [slang] a conspicuously successful pimp.

fancy man: [slang] someone who procures customers for whores (In England they call a pimp a ponce).

  • 5
    I don't think that definition of "ponce" is in common use in the UK any more -- at least, I'd neve heard it before. As far as I can tell, we mostly call pimps pimps. – David Richerby Apr 23 '14 at 9:17

In colonial Australia it was a "bludger"; nowadays a "pimp".

protected by tchrist Jul 2 '14 at 2:40

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.