Is there a word that describes when someone blurts out something quickly and excitedly and in a sort of foolish way? For example, the word babble describes the act of "talking rapidly and continuously in a foolish, excited, or incomprehensible way." The word I'm looking for is similar, but doing it hastily and only for a short bit.

For example, the context I'm using it in is a soldier saying a quick, incomprehensible prayer before the eve of battle that no one around him really catches the meaning of. I could say that he "babbles a prayer," but if he only does it for a short moment, it doesn't really fit the context.

  • 3
    When someone says something in a foolish, excited, or incomprehensible way for a brief moment, somebody within earshot asks about it on ELU. Commented Apr 21, 2014 at 17:35

4 Answers 4


I would say "jibber-jabber," or simply "jabber."

jabber: to talk in a fast, unclear, or foolish way.

He jabbered a prayer for mercy and was as humble as Uriah Heep.

He kneeled down on the kitchen floor, folded his arms and bowed his head, jibber jabbered a prayer, and then said "Amen."

  • I feel like this works for what I want, especially since the examples are almost spot-on for the usage I needed. Thank you! Commented Apr 22, 2014 at 6:12

Perhaps you are looking for mutter.

Merriam-Webster says

1 : to utter sounds or words indistinctly or with a low voice and with the lips partly closed

2 : to murmur complainingly or angrily : grumble


transitive verb : to utter especially in a low or imperfectly articulated manner

  • I wanted this at first, but its more like he's blabbing something out emotionally and uncontrollably, not softly and indistinctly. Commented Apr 22, 2014 at 6:11
  • Hmm. Sounds like "incoherent" would be useful - "He blurted incoherently".
    – user63230
    Commented Apr 22, 2014 at 6:16

A foolish, excited, or incomprehensible way for a brief moment is a boutade or a sudden outburst or outbreak.

By its nature, all uncontrolled speech is "foolish, excited, or incomprehensible":

Drivel: Driv"el, n. 1. Slaver; saliva flowing from the mouth. [1913 Webster]

  1. Inarticulate or unmeaning utterance; foolish talk; babble. [1913 Webster] -http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/cide/54369/Drivel

Prate: v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Prated}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Prating}.] [Akin to LG. & D. praten, Dan. prate, Sw. & Icel. prata.] To talk much and to little purpose; to be loquacious; to speak foolishly; to babble. [1913 Webster]

To prate and talk for life and honor. --Shak. [1913 Webster] -http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/cide/137596/Prate

Inaniloquent: prone to foolish or empty babbling

Footle: intransitive verb (footled; footling) Etymology: probably alteration of footer to waste time Date: 1892 1. to talk or act foolishly 2. to waste time ; trifle, fool • footle noun • footler noun

If you are mad as hell, an ebullition 1 : a sudden violent outburst or display 2 : the act, process, or state of boiling or bubbling up , or a fantod: an emotional outburst fit suits your "brief moment" limitation

  • Oooh, very nice! Thank you for the well-researched answers! These are all very eloquent, but I need a verb rather than a noun. Footle is nice, but not quite what I needed. I will have to remember fantod for later! Commented Apr 22, 2014 at 6:14

Gabbler would be correct to say.

  • Interesting, is this a noun then? As in, one who gabbles? Commented Apr 22, 2014 at 6:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.