I have a difficult time finding the right word for the following situation:

On the drawing, there are some dimensions instructed, and extra length is set for one range for workability. That extra length is “absorbed” (trimmed?) to meet the instruction. “Absorb” is the direct translation from my language, but does it make a sense? Is there any right word for it?

  • I'm having a hard time understanding what you are describing. What kind of object are you working with? Is this something physical like carpentry? – MrHen May 5 '14 at 19:38

Firstly, we would define or specify the dimensions.

The part to be trimmed could be called a margin. In some cases we might call it a handle, or foot if it is used to hold the work or attach it to a tool such as a lathe. It can also be called the rough, sometimes spelled as ruff, especially if the trimming process involves sanding or progressive removal.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.