I am writing a new CV. I want to choose a title for a section which specifies the courses I've taken at the graduate level. Since I've attended more than one graduate programs, which one of these is preferred for the title?

  1. Courses taken at graduate level
  2. Courses taken in graduate program
  • 3
    Why not "graduate level courses"?
    – Uticensis
    Commented Mar 16, 2011 at 9:52
  • Somebody told me the other one is better. I think this one is better :) Neither of us has any good reason for it. I just wonder if my feeling is true or not.
    – Helium
    Commented Mar 16, 2011 at 10:02
  • 3
    I'd prefer "courses taken at the graduate level", myself. I can't think another way to rephrase the second sentence nicely that keeps "program" in there.
    – Uticensis
    Commented Mar 16, 2011 at 10:08
  • Does it make sense if I delete the "the" from the title?
    – Helium
    Commented Mar 16, 2011 at 10:20
  • 3
    No, that sounds fairly wrong to my ear. For example, Wikipedia's article on "graduate school" says the following: "admission...is usually restricted...to those who may benefit professionally from additional study the graduate level" i.e. it constructs the phrase in the same manner I have. Every time I've heard "graduate level", it's always required the article the with it.
    – Uticensis
    Commented Mar 16, 2011 at 10:26

3 Answers 3


I think Courses taken at graduate level is more appropriate since it will imply that you are referring to all the courses you have pursued while in graduate program(s).

On the other hand, Courses taken in graduate program would limit the clarity and one may end up assuming that you did only one graduate program.

On you can say Courses pursued in graduate programs, but the first one seems more appropriate to me.



Firstly, "courses taken at graduate level" just about sounds perfect. It also removes the need to pinpoint any specific program that was taken.

"courses taken at graduate program", on the other hand should ideally be followed by the name of the program. This should be used only in the event that you have taken multiple programs at graduate level and is redundant otherwise.


You could just sum it up as

Post-graduate courses


Post-graduate course work


Post-graduate studies

  • 3
    You should not say "course work" because in some usage this refers to coursework (like assessed essays) as opposed to examinations. So "course work" sounds like it describes some essays you wrote rather than some courses you did.
    – kdt
    Commented Mar 16, 2011 at 11:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.