The English language is rich in ways to define a motorway, but what about square; can you help me find other definitions of it, or square-like spaces?

  • 1
    Place? Platz? Piazza? – WS2 Apr 10 '14 at 16:29
  • What kind of "square" are you interested in? Do you mean an intersection of two or three roads (e.g. Inman Square in Cambridge, MA), or an actual square-shaped park-like area formed by four roads (e.g. Farragut Square in Washington, DC). Or something else? – Peter Shor Apr 10 '14 at 17:51
  • Seems like a thesaurus would be the first stop. – Oldcat Apr 10 '14 at 18:06

The USPS maintains a list of street suffixes and their abbreviations.


Click on street suffix tab. I tried to link directly but it drops you at the state abbreviations first.

The shape of the referenced item is not listed. That is left to you and urban planners everywhere to decide. What shape is a BLUFF?

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    The obvious QUADRANGLE seems to be missing from the list. – Aaron K Apr 10 '14 at 19:51
  • From the top, Bluffs can be any shape. From the side, they tend to look rectangular. – Oldcat Apr 10 '14 at 21:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy