Is there a term or even a noun for a student who was thrown out of college/universite etc.?

I want to emphasize that he was willing to continue, but was dismissed permanently (e.g. due to severely breaking rules). He may never return.

  • "Failed student" or the like implies that the student failed some tests, which is not the case here.
  • "Dropout" seems to imply that he simply dropped out voluntarily, e.g. due to lack of interest.
  • 2
    There are rejects, and there are ejects. This seems to be the latter. Apr 10, 2014 at 23:39

11 Answers 11


Expelled, as in the student was expelled from university. It's basically a crossover of the concepts of suspension or expulsion from high school

EDIT: I should probably point out that Rusticated would have been my first choice (had I remembered it) and it's actually the prescribed word for the concept. Moonstar2001 is bang on here

  • 2
    At the risk of "nit-picking": I wouldn't say it's a crossover of the concept from high school—it is the (same) concept: the act of a school expelling someone from (i.e. pushing them out of) the student body.
    – Terry N
    Apr 10, 2014 at 9:22
  • @TerryN - I'd say crossover because it's not the technical term. Rusticated, as moonstar2001 has it, is more accurate.
    – kolossus
    Apr 10, 2014 at 12:28
  • Someone can also be dismissed from a university, although I would not use it for elementary or secondary schools as dismissal is the term use for adjourning class at the end of the day.
    – choster
    Apr 10, 2014 at 16:04
  • I'll go with "expelled". Now that I read it, I remember having heard that tearm in the Harry Potter movies, which may be an indication that it is widely known. Apr 11, 2014 at 11:40

Sent down is the term used at the old English universities.

  • This is the correct answer for English universities. Used as in "He was sent down for his illicit drug dealing"
    – Nick
    Apr 11, 2014 at 9:18

Any of these:




  • 3
    Rusticated is a very good one. Very apt. +1
    – kolossus
    Apr 10, 2014 at 11:28
  • 3
    At least at Oxbridge, rustication is a temporary thing, not a permanent thing. Apr 10, 2014 at 14:39

The noun for the object of expulsion is the ungraceful 'expellee'. I've only heard the term used once or twice. I suspect it was an on-the-spot construction. 'Winnowed' may apply as an adjective if the circumstances are behavioral rather than academic.


While I agree with @kolossus that expelled is the preferred verb, the noun expellee just doesn't seem right.

Perhaps castoff, as in After that incident in the Dean's office, he was a Harvard castoff.

a person or thing that has been rejected or discarded.


How about "dumpout" and "throwout" by analogy with "dropout?"

E.g. They produce large number of school dropouts, school "throwouts," and juvenile delinquency...

Then, you might want to consider the term "expellee."

expellee: a person who has been expelled.

E.g. The old image of catering largely for public school expellees and dropouts is completely out of date.

If you don't like any of those, saying "expelled student " or "expulsed student" can work just as well.


While I will not claim that this is the best fit I love the connotation of anathema.

After he severely broke the rules your example would likely have been anathematized.


The generic suspended or suspension would fit in this case. Those aren't to be confused with academic suspension, which is usually due to many failed grades or cheating.

  • 6
    Suspensions come to an end. The student has been thrown out permanently.
    – user63230
    Apr 10, 2014 at 6:56

You could use tossed or even defenestrated (tossed out of a window, same root as the French fenêtre).

  • Spehro, tossed can have another meaning entirely... I refer you to FHM or Nuts Magazine.
    – smci
    Apr 11, 2014 at 9:13
  • @smci That will teach me to toss off a quick reply. Apr 11, 2014 at 9:17
  • <Insert obligatory Finbarr Saunders cartoon>
    – smci
    Apr 11, 2014 at 9:19

banished may fit. It conveys the idea of having being forced to leave .

  • 2
    I would not use this to describe someone being expelled from university. Apr 10, 2014 at 10:06
  • that sound alittle too harsh Apr 10, 2014 at 11:44
  • If you are told not to come back to a university for non-academic reasons often you are banned from the university so this fits. Apr 10, 2014 at 15:41

Would ronin suffice? It sounds kind of epic.

ronin 2 : (colloquial, Japan) A student who has failed the entrance examination for the high school or university of their choice and spends the next year studying to retake the exam.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.