I have read the full article in wikipedia and this question, but I am still unclear about this, as I am not a native speaker. A quick Google search did not help either. My brother recently received a PhD diploma in Chemistry. I would like to give him a desk name plate as a gift with a small insignia and his name and title. Should it be:

Alexander Doe, PhD


Doe Alexander, PhD

or something else? Is it appropriate to use Alex instead of Alexander?

In all likelihood, he is going to work in the U.K.


1 Answer 1


Most desk nameplates tend to be firstname-surname.

This would be best, and avoid confusion:

Alexander Doe, PhD

Example on Amazon

  • 1
    +1, worth noting this is highly subject to cultural norms. There are cultures that place the surname first … but, the UK would be: first last, degree.
    – David M
    Apr 7, 2014 at 13:45
  • Thank you for very much for your answer. This clears the matter for me. I cannot upvote due to low rep. I will do so when possible!
    – Dima1982
    Apr 7, 2014 at 13:59
  • 1
    As @DavidM points out, there are different norms. For example, the same person could be Teresa Teng, PhD or Deng Lijun, PhD depending on whether they're following English or Asian tradition. Apr 7, 2014 at 15:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.