During an argument one person capitulates, not because they agree, but just to irritate the other with phrases like:

Yes, of course you are right etc.

Is there a specific word to describe this person?

  • 1
    Someone who has more important matters to dwell on?
    – WS2
    Apr 3, 2014 at 7:11
  • 2
    ......sarcastic Apr 3, 2014 at 7:18
  • Martyr? (Not sure it's a good fit because the question doesn't provide enough context.) Apr 3, 2014 at 7:50
  • 5
    There is a specific word, you're 100% right. Good work.
    – Ronan
    Apr 3, 2014 at 8:51
  • @Ronan don't be so patronising.
    – Neil W
    Apr 3, 2014 at 12:14

1 Answer 1


The verb that seems to come closest is humor

Comply with the wishes of (someone) in order to keep them content, however unreasonable such wishes might be: she was always humoring him to prevent trouble

This conveys expression of insincere agreement (or conduct) while actually disagreeing. However, the term is often used to describe a process intended to soothe rather than annoy. If irritation is part of the concept ytou wish to convey, you would probably need an adjective

She snidely humored him, agreeing with his every pronouncement, eventually leading to his storming out of the room.

There is a related concept, yes-man

a person who agrees with everything that is said; especially : one who endorses or supports without criticism every opinion or proposal of an associate or superior

Again, there is often an implication that the process is intended to placate rather than annoy. An adjective could change that

He was a transparent yes-man. His boss found the unbridled enthusiasm annoying, not flattering.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.