Does English have a specific word for a hole between the kitchen and the living room that is used to get food directly to the dining table?

German has the nice Durchreiche, which approximately translates to hand-through. I am ideally looking for a nice translation of that word.

kitchen hole

  • 12
    What, "kitchen hole" isn't fancy enough for you? Some people are so hard to please. – Robusto Mar 12 '11 at 20:51
  • 6
    @Robusto it contrasts nicely with Car hole :) – Pekka Mar 12 '11 at 20:53
  • 27
    I clicked this question wondering what in the world a "kitchen hole" could be. – tankadillo Mar 12 '11 at 21:38
  • 3
    @intuited, you might have to explain that one in some contexts. I (native en-gb speaker) understand "pie-hole" and "cake-hole" as "mouth", most commonly encountered following the words "Shut your". – Peter Taylor Mar 13 '11 at 14:32
  • 2
    We just called ours a hatch. – FumbleFingers Mar 23 '11 at 0:32

It is also called a serving hatch.

An opening in a wall at window height for the purpose of serving food or other items.

The cook passed the dishes through the serving hatch.

from Wiktionary

| improve this answer | |

I usually hear it called a kitchen pass-through.

| improve this answer | |
  • Or just "pass-through". Google [ define pass-through ] gives: “an opening that resembles a window between two rooms (especially a shelved opening between a kitchen and dining room that is used to pass dishes)”, citing WordNet. – MetaEd Oct 1 '12 at 14:30

In restaurants, I've heard that area is referred to as the pass and that is what we call it in our house.

| improve this answer | |

I've known it to be called a breakfast-bar.

A similar feature is a dumb-waiter, which is used to move crockery and food between different levels especially in hotels.

| improve this answer | |

In French, it is known as a passe-plat, which is elegant and simple. It can also be translated simply as hatch, which might be better than serving hatch as any sentence employing it is likely to involve a serving context which would make it redundant.

| improve this answer | |
  • In spanish is the same: pasa-platos (pasa=pass, platos=plates) buscon.rae.es/draeI/… – Dr. belisarius Mar 13 '11 at 2:57
  • Very nice, thanks for this! This question is in the context of a software naming decision and passe-plat is an interesting option. – Pekka Mar 13 '11 at 14:34

Not meaning to observe the obvious, but "service window" would be appropriate.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.