What word should you use to ask someone to "take foods from the pot and put it into the plate"?

You may say stuff like "take some food" but it does not exactly mean the act of "taking food from the pot and putting it into the plate". Is there a word for that in English?

  • 2
    I think you're talking about serving or doling food! but I'm not sure. You might want to visit English Language Learners; they might be more helpful with this kind of question. Commented Apr 2, 2014 at 8:48
  • @BraddSzonye "serving" is what I was looking for. Does doling used for food?
    – bman
    Commented Apr 2, 2014 at 9:28
  • Yes, doling is used for food. Commented Apr 2, 2014 at 11:11

1 Answer 1


I would say "serve" or "dish out".

"She served the food equally among the four plates".

"She dished out more curry for herself than the others."

There's no word in English which would be specific to pots and plates, however, so if that's important information you'd have to still say it:

"Instead of using bowls, he dished the sauce onto the plates, to everyone's surprise".

If it's soup, you use a ladle: "He ladled the soup into each ones' bowl".

  • This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!
    – bman
    Commented Apr 2, 2014 at 9:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.