I've been working on a paper regarding the Himalays. As part of that, I've been learning about sherpas. I feel like I see these kinds of people watching or monitoring mountains. Either for weather or signs of trouble. I'm trying to figure out if these people that watch these mountains have a title or a name? I'd like to use it in my paper. Does anyone know what these people are called?


  • 6
    – tchrist
    Commented Apr 1, 2014 at 13:03
  • 1
    they are sherpas. Commented Apr 1, 2014 at 13:27
  • It may be better to ask on a more appropriate Q&A site. Could be off topic on ELU.
    – Kris
    Commented Apr 1, 2014 at 13:33

1 Answer 1


In the United States, such people are called spotters. They are activated when the National Weather Service believes there to be a risk of fire, tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, etc. There are especially common in mountain areas at risk for wildfire during Red Flag days, but also get activated for other forms a severe weather.

  • Spotters are not a 'kind of people' who culturally watch the mountain weather -- I could be a 'spotter' if I wanted.
    – Kris
    Commented Apr 1, 2014 at 13:32
  • @Kris Nothing says “culturally”. Anyway, you couldn’t be a trained spotter without training. It’s normally a volunteer but trained position, but in some cases it is a paid one.
    – tchrist
    Commented Apr 1, 2014 at 13:42
  • 'Sherpas' are. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherpa_people
    – Kris
    Commented Apr 1, 2014 at 13:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.