As per title, what is the name of a group of dragonflies? Some friends say it is a mob, some say it is a hover. Anyone?


A flight or cluster of dragonflies :)

  • Thanks mate. A quick google search for those proved your answer correct. I guess I didn't know what to search in the first place. Thanks again – Luis Mar 12 '11 at 12:18
  • You're welcome. Search for "collective noun animal wiki". – stormscape Mar 16 '11 at 10:11
  • 2
    It's worth pointing out that these collective nouns have a very artificial history compared to that of most words. Most of them first appeared in The Book of St Albans in about 1500 and wasn't what you'd call a book of great learning, it was full of humour, lore, and arbitrary assertions. Not that these are bad things, but students shouldn't get too hung up on learning the more obscure collective, unless they are inclined to do so, as they have very little currency. – Dan Sheppard Sep 13 '14 at 17:42

Beauty. Used in the book, The Bees, by Laline Paul, she describes a group of dragonflies as "a beauty of dragonflies."


I'd suggest, a cloud of dragonflies


: a large number of things (such as insects) that move together through the air in a group


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.