Do I use a forward slash or comma for my title and designations? I see both uses throughout my industry but which one is the correct usage, or could both be correct?


Broker, REALTOR®, CRS®, ABR®

Thank you, EM

  • Very sorry, but, as a policy, we do not proofread on this site. If you have questions about a particular problem in English, please do return and ask. Mar 27, 2014 at 22:41
  • 2
    @medica “Proofreading questions are off-topic unless a specific source of concern in the text is clearly identified” (emphasis added). In practice, we also close questions for this reason if they contain many errors in addition to the specific source of concern, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem here. Mar 27, 2014 at 23:27

2 Answers 2


According to REALTOR® Trademark usage FAQ:

The marks should not be used inadvertently and improperly to denote a vocation or business. A good rule to follow is if the term “Member” cannot logically be substituted for the term REALTOR®, then the term should not be used. Appropriate substitutions might include the phrases “real estate broker,” “real estate agent,” “real estate salesperson,” “property manager,” etc.

So, saying you are a REALTOR® is just a more qualified (or precise) way of saying you are a broker, therefore I believe that using the form with the comma would introduce ambiguity. Since a REALTOR® is a type of broker, you could always say "REALTOR® broker" as well, with no comma or slash. The comma would only be useful if it is used in a sentence where you are clarifying what kind of broker you are. Hope that helps.

  • I agree with using the slash, but not for the reason you give. The registered trademarks in the OP indicate not "more qualified" or "precise", but having attained membeship in a recognized body. In practice, attaining these memberships requires passing tests, demonstrating expertise, and proving experience, but they are association memberships. In fact, a Realtor can be an agent OR a broker. And a non-Realtor can be a better agent or broker than someone who has that distinction. Mar 27, 2014 at 23:48
  • Just as a clarification, the "more qualified" was in reference to the way of saying it (ie, "a more qualified way of saying X"), not that the person themselves is more qualified.
    – insaner
    Mar 28, 2014 at 3:38
  • Ah ha! Sorry, I was barking up the wrong tree, then! :-) Mar 28, 2014 at 16:02

Generally speaking when giving ones qualifications, you would separate them by commas.

For example, John Smith, M.D., Ph.D., M.A., B.M.O.C., etc.

Typically when two words are separated by a slash, it is the equivalent of saying or aloud. (Occasionally it is used for and/or, too.)

If you are a Broker or a REALTOR®, then use a slash. If you are a Broker and a REALTOR®, then use a comma.

A slash isn't technically wrong for and, but the use of the comma removes any ambiguity from the equation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.