what would be a word to describe a building that is modern and futuristic.

a term that would mean something like 'building of the next decade/century'


Because architectural theorists/historians have defined modernism and futurism (and many derivations of these terms) to the past, I would be careful in using such terms. Two words that would generally avoid specific period definitions would be contemporary and progressive.

You could go with Post-Contemporary but that may be too esoteric.

Lastly — and this has nothing to do with your question — if the structure is made of the same stuff as the Sydney Opera House, please refer to it as concrete, not cement.

  • I've heard that 'contemporary' has also been assigned a specific meaning in the field of architecture, too. – user867 Jul 3 '14 at 4:06

Neo-futurism was coined as an early 21st century (that's now) movement that covers architecture, arts and design. I would suggest neo-futuristic is the appropriate adjective.

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Neofuturistic was coined in the early 60s. The Sydney Opera House is a building of that style. It is not new to this century. – anongoodnurse Mar 27 '14 at 2:54
  • Pioneered in the early 60s and 70s, it is referred to as a 21st century movement. The definition came from the reference made by Vito Di Bari, ... inspired by nanotechnology and the arts. The United States was pioneered in the 15th century, but it didn't become the United States until more than 200 years later. – Canis Lupus Mar 27 '14 at 2:59
  • 1
    @medica Neofuturism as a term was coined in the 1960s. But, the movement has been relaunched in 2006. All movements and art are derivative of the past. Reusing the same name doesn't make the concept any less current. – David M Mar 27 '14 at 4:01

A futuristic and modern building might be called a futurama.

futurama: (noun) an exhibition or display that attempts to depict certain aspects or elements of life in the future.

-rama noun suffix meaning "sight, view, spectacular display or instance of," 1824, abstracted from panorama (q.v.), ultimately from Greek horama "sight, spectacle, that which is seen."


I have always liked the expression 'cutting-edge architecture'

protected by tchrist Jul 4 '14 at 0:56

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.