I'm looking for a word to describe the the contour of a mountain. Something like profile, or cross-section.

I've heard of stratigraphic column, but I think that requires showing the layers, like on the image below. I'm also interested in the name for maps that don't show the layers, just the profile.

mountain profile

2 Answers 2


Elevation profile maps are often used to show the ups and downs of trails for hikers and cyclists. (I know elevation profile is not a single word, but I think this might be the term you're after.)

See these links for examples of elevation profile maps, and of course you can Google the term:




The topographic prominence is the height of a the mountain in relation to its surroundings. A topographic map generally shows contour lines, but not the internals.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.